Sunday 17 February 2013

Lazy Blogger

Little did I realize that I have posted only one blog entry during the new year. Already a month and a half has gone. I am a lazy blogger. I need to be more diligent on blogging. But why blog? I spent something like 12 seconds thinking about it, and then typed the question in Google. From the first page, I selected three links and browsed through them.

Grant Griffiths of headawaythemes writes about pure business reasons. Blogging increases your online presence, and will help a great deal in marketing your business. Some of the motivations he cites are:
  • Posting to a blog on a regular, consistent basis helps to build your position in your niche or market as the go to location for information your readers can use to deal with problems and issues.
  • Blogging gives you the tools you need to gain visitors to your site.
  • Blogging gives you a way to gain readers of the information you have and which you are making available via your blog
  • Blogging gives you and your customers and potential customers a way to communicate and connect
  • Blogging gives you a way to build trust with the people who are visiting your blog and this in turn will help you grow your business.
  • Emma who lives “in a little Victorian cottage in the south of England with my gorgeous husband, our beautiful girl and our bouncy, lively (and very shiny) dog Tilly” started to “write online last year so that I could keep a record of life, mainly because of Tilly's arrival in our home but also as a sort of online journal to keep family and friends up to date.”

    As to why blog Emma wrote:
    When Betsy is older I want her to be able to read this blog. It would be nice to think that she will get an insight into what life was like for me and her Dad before she arrived and how I felt/what I wore when I was pregnant and how excited we were waiting for her arrival.
    Also, every single time I write a post my husband excitedly reads it and tells me how great it is and how proud he is of me.....this is totally reason enough to write a blog and I reckon that this could have been a much shorter post if I'd just left it at that!
    So that's that then, it's funny how the real reasons that I blog are totally different to what I thought they would be. I thought I would say that I blog for fun and to appreciate the moments we are in but nah, I don't... I actually blog to show off and leave a mark on the world.
    And finally, Andrew Sullivan wrote about blogging from a writer’s perspective :
    To blog is therefore to let go of your writing in a way, to hold it at arm’s length, open it to scrutiny, allow it to float in the ether for a while, and to let others, as Montaigne did, pivot you toward relative truth. A blogger will notice this almost immediately upon starting. Some e-mailers, unsurprisingly, know more about a subject than the blogger does. They will send links, stories, and facts, challenging the blogger’s view of the world, sometimes outright refuting it, but more frequently adding context and nuance and complexity to an idea. The role of a blogger is not to defend against this but to embrace it. He is similar in this way to the host of a dinner party. He can provoke discussion or take a position, even passionately, but he also must create an atmosphere in which others want to participate.
    Funny how we are increasingly delegating our thinking to Google and it’s not wrong. If someone else already has the answers to our question, there is no point in figuring them ourselves. Just google.

    But did I get my answer? Yes, it’s the combination of all the reasons mentioned by Graham, Emma and Andrew.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment